April 13, 2007

50 Sun Orbits












On this round birthday of yours I pause for a while
To open the gateway to my heart for you,
And offer you unconditional greetings from the distance
Hoping you´ll come by and catch them.

Life has put some remoteness between us, I know.
The landscape has slipped, as you said.
Let us respect that. Nevertheless I think of you today
Hoping you are fine and keeping well.

Formerly caught in the drift of unhappy love turns
My sailing boat was totally muddled and helpless--
I suppose that yours got bashed up as well then.
For stranded lovers, silence seems much easier than friendship.

It is ourselves we hurt most. Will we forgive and forget each other?
I have forgiven, but I surely won´t forget you.
Whilst the seasons changed and ten thousand passer-bys glanced at me
I still look back at you, every once in a while.

I take that liberty, I take that chance.
Independent minds always run wild and free!

Please notice that despite that somewhat reassorted shell,
Patched up with daily joys, with truth, transmission and creation,
Deep down inside myself I tightly hold on to the special one
You dared to be for me: a precious soul-mate, way beyond all barriers.

So on this particular day, when hopefully you´re on centre stage
I´m disobeying ordinary rules and commonly common sense
By writing down these simple lines for you, my dear,
Hoping you´ll understand and value them, today or on another day.

What else is there to say for me, on this quite different Friday 13th,
When everything is to be said and done by old fellows and dearly beloved?
Is there some hidden space inside you that is left for me to fill?
If so, please do accept my wishes and my call.

Let me reach you at the break of twilight, birthday boy!
For a moment (not for long), allow me to care and praise you.

For I wish you that you will always cherish the sparkle of genius
That shines through when your hands hit your steel guitar,
Transcending all borders between you and others, time and space,
A gift that has been granted to you: a gift to look after, something rare.

I also wish you plenty of future playgrounds and playmates
For those brilliant games of the mind that you master so well,
“Mental tennis” you called this, in full humour,
Well believe me, I remember that about you, I can tell!

Another thing I wish you is that you´ll always allow yourself the luxury
Of dreaming and living your craziest visions on earth (whatever they may be!)
For I´m almost sure you have not lost your wanderlust yet…
Yes, one day you may jump off the edge of the world in safety, and fly free.

And finally, I wish you to keep trust in your own strength and talents,
And confidence in the beautiful force of fate, love and life.
Whenever you may be in doubt about yourself, my dear,
Recall yourself the way I completely fell in love for two, twice in a trice.

So on this round birthday of yours I have paused for a while
To open the gateway to my heart for you,
And have offered you unconditional greetings from the distance
Hoping you will come by and catch them.

***********************************

A birthday poem by Alice McDuff ~ 13 April 2007

No comments: